Treatment News : People With HIV in Care Smoke at Twice the Rate of Those Without

POZ - Health, Life and HIV
Subscribe to:
POZ magazine
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join

Back to home » Treatment News » March 2013

Most Popular Links
Most Popular Lessons

The HIV Life Cycle


Herpes Simplex Virus

Syphilis & Neurosyphilis

Treatments for Opportunistic Infections (OIs)

What is AIDS & HIV?

Hepatitis & HIV

20 Years Ago In POZ

More Treatment News

Click here for more news

Have news about HIV? Send press releases, news tips and other announcements to


March 18, 2013

People With HIV in Care Smoke at Twice the Rate of Those Without

CROI 2013The first nationally representative poll of HIV-positive adults’ tobacco use has found that 42 percent of those in care are regular smokers, a rate twice that of the general population, the National AIDS Treatment Advocacy Project reports. Representatives from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) reported findings of their survey of HIV-positive people in care in 16 states and Puerto Rico at the 20th Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections (CROI) in Atlanta. The 2009 survey, a part of the Medical Monitoring Project, included a cohort of 4,217 people living with HIV and was compared with a general-population sample of 27,731 adults from the National Health Interview Survey, conducted in the same year.

Among the HIV-positive group, 1,781 (42 percent) were current smokers, compared with 21 percent of the general population. A total of 37 percent of those with HIV and 58 percent of those without never smoked. After adjusting the data for variables including age, gender, race/ethnicity, education level and income, the CDC found that having HIV was generally associated with about a two-fold increase in the likelihood of smoking.

The study was limited by the fact that it only polled people in HIV care. An estimated 80 percent of the U.S. HIV population is aware of their infection, and only 30 to 41 percent are in regular HIV care. Furthermore, the study relied on self-report and was not backed up by laboratory tests to confirm smoking status.

A recent study found that HIV-positive smokers lost 12.3 years of life compared with non-smoking people with HIV.

The CDC advised that smoking cessation should be a priority for people in HIV care.

To read the NATAP report, click here.

Search: HIV, smoking, smokers, poll, National AIDS Treatment Advocacy Project, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, CDC, 20th Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections, CROI, National Health Interview Survey, smoking cessation, risk of death.

Scroll down to comment on this story.


(will display; 2-50 characters)


(will NOT display)


(will display; optional)

Comment (500 characters left):

(Note: The POZ team reviews all comments before they are posted. Please do not include either ":" or "@" in your comment. The opinions expressed by people providing comments are theirs alone. They do not necessarily reflect the opinions of Smart + Strong, which is not responsible for the accuracy of any of the information supplied by people providing comments.)

Comments require captcha.
Please enter this number for verification:

| Posting Rules

Show comments (0 total)

[Go to top]

Facebook Twitter Google+ MySpace YouTube Tumblr Flickr Instagram
Quick Links
Current Issue

HIV Testing
Safer Sex
Find a Date
Newly Diagnosed
HIV 101
Disclosing Your Status
Starting Treatment
Help Paying for Meds
Search for the Cure
POZ Stories
POZ Opinion
POZ Exclusives
Read the Blogs
Visit the Forums
Job Listings
Events Calendar
POZ on Twitter

Ask POZ Pharmacist

Talk to Us
Did you participate in an event for National Black HIV/AIDS Awareness Day 2016?


more surveys
Contact Us
We welcome your comments!
[ about Smart + Strong | about POZ | POZ advisory board | partner links | advertising policy | advertise/contact us | site map]
© 2016 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved. Terms of use and Your privacy.
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.